Friday, August 4, 2017

The Light of Love

I’ve spent most of my week in meetings about recovering from the fire. The numbers in the paper that you have probably seen only scratch the surface of the impact of the fire. Many people were living in out buildings destroyed by the fire, but those aren’t counted among the number of homes lost. Others were renting the houses destroyed, and they often have no renter’s insurance. And, when their homes are rebuilt, they realize that they probably can’t afford them any longer.

 However, the outpouring of help I’ve witnessed is amazing! The way people are pulling together to care for one another. Thank you for all you have done already.

I’ve lived through disaster responses, including Hurricane Katrina in Houston and a wildfire in East Texas. I’ve learned some valuable lessons. Right now, as the burned scars are visible and the sound of fire engines makes a shiver run up our spines, we are ready and willing to step up. However, recovery takes a long time, a lot longer than you realize. Many of those who lost everything will still be putting the pieces of their lives together this time next year. The media has already moved on to the next disaster, and, as our lives resume their normal pace, we will want to move on too. The task for us as a church and followers of Christ is to remain present for those who are striving to find a new normal.

I offer these words about the power of love. They are inspired by Paul and his wonderful writings about love in 1 Corinthians 13:

If I have language ever so perfectly and speak like a pundit, but have not the knack of love that grips the heart, I am nothing.

If I have decorations and diplomas, and am proficient in up-to-date methods, but have not the touch of understanding love, I am nothing.

If I am able to worst my opponents in arguments so as to make fools of them, but have not the wooing note, I am nothing.

If I have all faith and great ideals and magnificent plans and wonderful visions, but have not the love that sweats and bleeds and weeps and prays and pleads, I am nothing. …

… If I can heal all manner of sickness and disease, but wound hearts and hurt feelings for want of love that is kind, I am nothing.

If I can write books and publish articles that set the world agog, but fail to transcribe the word of the Cross in the language of love, I am nothing.

—Indian medical student, cited by a variety of Internet sources.

As Paul writes, “Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

Shine the hope of love into others’ lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment